1. Is alcohol banned?
No. All we require is that you are legal drinking age, that you drink alcohol responsibly, and that you drink all beverages from a NON-DISPOSABLE container if you’re INSIDE THE CITY LIMITS. There are tons of options for non-disposable containers. The same requirement applies for the food you bring on the river inside the City Limits. We encourage all visitors to act responsibly and help keep our rivers clean and safe!
2. Is there a person I can talk to about all this?
Sure! Contact any of our city’s river outfitters. They’ll have up-to-the-minute information about river flows, rules, parking, and more.
3. What should I wear while I’m floating?
We recommend your swimsuit, suitable footwear, sunscreen, your life jacket, and a smile!
4. What about hydration?
You’re going to be out for a while and a lot of that time you’ll be in the sun. Liquids are your friend.
5. Can I litter?
6. Can I get out of river onto private property?
7. I can’t swim. Should I jump into a natural, flowing river?
8. Can I bring glass or foam stuff to New Braunfels’ parks and rivers?
9. Can I jump off area bridges, trees, or other natural or manmade things into the river or onto the ground?
No. It’s against the law.
11. I’m not so sure I’m gonna be able to do this…
Please consider any age or physical limitations you or others in your party may have before entering our rivers.
12. What about lifejackets?
Lifejackets are always available. Just ask.
13. I want to bring my kids . What about that?
Kids are welcome. They should know how to swim and be over the age of 3 to float the Comal or over the age of 6 to float the Guadalupe. We recommend Sundays and/or weekdays as KID FRIENDLY DAYS!
14. Are the rivers always the same?
No. The Comal River and Guadalupe River are all natural. That is, river flow, length of float trips, age cutoffs, and more can change daily due to weather and other circumstances. Check with an outfitter for the latest information.
15. Can I bring a keg on the river?
Yes. A keg is not considered a volume drinking device, therefore it would be permitted on the water. Do not consume directly from the keg.
16. How do I get alcoholic beverages to the rivers? Isn’t alcohol banned in some City parks?
Some City parks prohibit alcohol. That said, if you need to cross one of these parks on the way to a river, you must have any alcoholic beverages in closed containers BEFORE you enter the park. Open beverages in the park or on the banks of the river is not allowed.
17. Are pets allowed on the rivers in New Braunfels?
There are no local ordinances prohibiting pets on the Comal or Guadalupe Rivers in New Braunfels. However, independent river outfitters may have their own rules regarding animals on their property, equipment, or shuttles. Please check with your outfitter before bringing your pet along! Remember that hot vehicles can become deadly for animals, so you can’t leave yours waiting while you float.
18. Is there a size limit on coolers?
Yes. Coolers must be 16 quarts or smaller. And only one cooler per person.
19. Is there a size limit on tubes/floats?
Yes. Inflatable devices cannot exceed five feet in length or width.